4.08.2014

Wednesday- We Remember Bataan

The Battle of Bataan ended on April 9, 1942, when U.S. General Edward P. King surrendered to Japanese General Masaharu Homma. At that point 75,000 soldiers became Prisoners of War: about 12,000 Americans and 63,000 Filipinos. What followed was one of the worst atrocities in modern wartime history—the Bataan Death March.


Bataan Survivors

The captured Americans were from the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, Marines and the New Mexico National Guard. They were forced to march for days in the scorching heat, with little food or water, over 60 miles through the Philippine jungles. Thousands died or were killed during the March. Those who survived faced the hardships of a prisoner of war camp.

Corporal Douglas Edwards served with the Army Air Corp 745 Air Force Ordinance of the 27th Bomb Group during World War II.  On April 9, 1942, he was captured by the Japanese at Clark Field in the Philippines.  His perseverance, resiliency and shear will helped him survive the Death March and another 42 months as a POW working in coal mines near Hanawa, Japan.


My grandfather, "Big Ed", had a huge impact on me and inspired me to become the man I am.  When I'm faced with a difficult physical and/or mental challenge, I remember the hardships he endured and the sacrifices he made.  Whenever I'm forced to go to "my dark place" he is by my side...

  • Today's WOD will consist of a LONG group run with a wide variety of bodyweight movements mixed in at various stages throughout our journey.  Start hydrating now...


No comments:

Post a Comment